Our Chapter History
The Columbia Chapter, DAR, is the oldest chapter in South Carolina. Organized by Mrs. Clark Waring in February 1892, the chapter received its charter May 10, 1893. It is the first patriotic organization of women established in South Carolina and is also the first hostess to a state conference.
The first three State Regents were members of this chapter, and their efforts extending the organization through South Carolina is wrapped up in our chapter history. Members have served at the state and national levels. They were actively involved with national committees to select the site for Memorial Continental Hall as well as the Constitution and Revolutionary Relic Committees and other state and national committees. At the state level, members had a part in the formation of the constitution and by-laws by which the South Carolina DAR was organized. In 1900, the chapter was represented at the unveiling of the Lafayette Monument in Paris. In 1913, the chapter worked to erect a monument on the state house grounds to honor the memory of South Carolina's Generals Sumter, Marion, Pickens, and her patriot sons who fought for independence. In 1963, the SCDAR adopted the South Carolina DAR Song, words and music composed by Mrs. Mower Singley, Columbia Chapter Regent, as the official State Society DAR song.
Our gavel, still in use, was presented at the November meeting in 1896. It is made of mahogany from the dining table of Colonel Thomas Taylor brought to Columbia in 1767.
This chapter has maintained an active interest in Columbia, South Carolina, and the nation for over one hundred years. Members today have continued the service that the charter Daughters started in 1892.
Past Columbia Chapter Sponsored State Outstanding Juniors
2006 South Carolina State Outstanding Junior - Randa Downs
2008 South Carolina State Outstanding Junior and National Finalist - Angela Cooksey (Garrett)
2009 South Carolina State Outstanding Junior - Chris McNamara